- Discord is an app made mainly for gamers to communicate while they are gaming but many users reported that Discord keeps freezing.
- Turn off the compatibility mode If Discord keeps freezing and you can also turn off the hardware acceleration.
- Discord has been known to cause problems on some systems, so to stay ahead of the curve, keep tabs on our Discord Troubleshooting page.
- If you are using Discord, chances are you are a gamer. If so, you should check out our extensive Gaming Hub where we write about the latest games and accompanying software.
Discord is an app made mainly for gamers to communicate while they are gaming but many users reported that Discord keeps freezing. This can be a major problem, but in today’s article, we’ll show you how to fix it.
Causes of Discord freezing
- Key binds: key binding is a feature allowed supported by various apps. If two or more apps share the same keyboard shortcuts, you might encounter this and other similar problems.
- The freezing issue can come up when the app is running in Compatibility Mode. It results from compatibility problems in the app.
- Hardware Acceleration: This feature can improve your performance, but it can also cause freezes, so you might want to disable it temporarily.
What to do if Discord keeps freezing? The issue is usually caused by your key binds, and in order to fix it, be sure to disable all Discord key binds. If that doesn’t solve the problem, disable hardware acceleration in Discord app.
What can I do if Discord is freezing on authenticating?
1. Disable key binds
Key bindings can sometimes cause Discord to keep freezing. This can easily be resolved by deleting the key binds, so follow the steps below to do so.
- Open the Discord app.
- Click on the Settings.
- Search key binds and select it. A list will appear and you will see a red cross on each key bind. To delete the key bind, click the red cross icon. Do this for all key binds. The issue will be resolved after deleting the key binds.
2. Turn off the Compatibility mode
If Discord keeps freezing, the issue might be related to Compatibility mode. To fix the issue, try disabling Compatibility mode for Discord.
- Close the app.
- Then, right-click on the Discord app.
- Choose Properties and click the Compatibility tab.
- Disable Run this program in compatibility mode for option.
- Click Apply and OK.
Now, re-run the discord app and if the freezing continues, follow the steps again and see if it stops.
3. Disable the Hardware Acceleration
Turning off the Hardware Acceleration can also help if Discord keeps freezing. So, follow these steps to disable the Hardware Acceleration on the app.
- Open the Discord app.
- Then, click on Settings.
- After that, choose Appearance.
- In the right pane, click Advanced and then, select Hardware Acceleration.
- Turn off the Hardware Acceleration, you might be asked to confirm; if so, press OK.
- After step 5, the app will restart and the problem will be fixed.
These are just a couple of solutions that might help you if Discord keeps freezing on your PC. If you found our solutions helpful, let us know in the comments section below.
- C: > Users > Your Username > AppData > Roamin > discord > Cache
- C: > Users > Your Username > AppData > Roamin > discord > Local Storage
- Does Discord slow down the computer?
Discord should not slow down your PC. If you encounter this problem, follow our guide to speed up a slow computer and consider using specialized software to keep it running smoothly.
- Why is Discord black?
You can see a black screen on Discord if your graphics drivers are not updated or because there is a problem with the app itself. As there are many Black Screen variations, you can look for your specific problem in our Black Screen Repository.